Portfolio’s Rock!!Posted: November 2, 2011
The first Advisory of school ended October 28th. All week long was Portfolio Week in the Art Studio from
K-5. It was my first run ever in organizing the sending home of art and monitoring student self-assessment. It was awesome and here is why:
1. A Portfolio Checklist was provided for each grade level that included assessment questions.
2. Portfolio day included time for students to finish work.
3. Students took pride in the responsibility of organizing work.
4. Students showed readiness to complete self-assessment.
5. The opportunity to analyze a body of work in sync with report cards generates conversation at home.
Portfolio week was truly beautiful and there were some hectic moments, but so worth it!! I had just sent work home after 3 or 4 works piled up, but now they are in charge, that adds purpose and value!!
TIPS FOR YOU:
Match your Essential Question with Assessment Question. Discuss Portfolio Checklist and walk through without giving answers. Remind them how lovely it will be to have Art to share along with Report card. Pre staple flatwork for K and 1st. Set up one or two tables for a “Finish Work” station. Assign a Drawing Challenge in sketchbook as students finish at varied times.